We all do it. That little voice that seems to appear from nowhere ….
- I’m not good at this
- I can’t do that
- I don’t have time
- I’m not sure
- What will they think?
- I’m such an idiot
Would you talk like that to a loved one?
The answer is ‘probably not.’
Talking to those gremlins
Next time you catch yourself talking like that to yourself, pause for a moment …. and talk back. Don’t allow your negative gremlin to get away with it. Give it a challenge and ask yourself the following 5 questions:
- Really? Is that REALLY true?
- What is helpful about talking to myself in this way?
- What could I say to myself right now that is true and more empowering?
- What do I really want and need right now that is making me talk to myself in such a negative way? Make it a juicy statement of intent!
- What can I put into place to help me achieve this?
For a wonderful book about taming your gremlin check out Taming Your Gremlin (Revised Edition): A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way.
Repeatedly challenging those gremlins will give you a truer and more positive perspective of yourself.
And you deserve that. We all do.
Do you want your gremlin to shut the f….k up? Start talking back to your gremlin.